Tuesday, March 16, 2010

LITTLE ROCK MARATHON

On March 6th , my husband, Ed, and I traveled by car from Dallas, TX to Little Rock, AR to participate in the Little Rock Marathon. We found Little Rock a welcoming and friendly City. We stayed at the Marathon Host Hotel, the Peabody in downtown Little Rock, in close proximity to the Marathon Expo, the start/finish Line and the Post-Race Party. We were familiar with the twice-daily March of the Peabody Ducks because we had experienced them first-hand at the Peabody in Memphis a few years back. After watching the Little Rock ducks, we made jokes that they were definitely the “duck farm team”. They could use a little more rehearsal!

After a bad experience last year at the Oklahoma City Marathon, we elected to forego the $20/each Pasta Dinner and perhaps made a mistake. The pizza at Iriana’s was bland and boring but at least it was cheap. With three kids in college, cheap is always good! At the Expo we ran into an old friend, Ram, who we had met on the Dallas Running Club’s bus ride to the Oklahoma City Marathon last April. He was there with his wife and son and it was nice to know at least someone in the crowd of onlookers on race day.

The weather on Sunday was picture perfect—low 41 at the start and a high of 65 by the time we finished. I elected to run with the 4:45 pace group even though I had failed miserably when I attempted it in OKC. Ed and Ram intended to run a more leisurely pace with the 5:15 group. We had plenty of time the morning of the race because we didn’t have to coordinate with shuttles to the start. I was a little disappointed that the advertised breakfast wasn’t free—it was cash only. Who brings cash to a Marathon?

During the first half of the run, we shared the road with the Half Marathoners so it was a little crowded. We ran by high-rise office buildings, domed government buildings and even the Governor’s Mansion and Little Rock Central High School, the site of forced school desegregation during the Civil Rights Movement. The City seemed the epitome of southern charm and hospitality. Our Marathon numbered bibs were personalized and we heard our names called out frequently by well-wishing spectators. Ed and I had decided to “run for a cause” so we wore hand-made banners proclaiming, “Green Power” on the front of our t-shirts and “Take Care of Your Mother, Earth” on the back. I heard many shouts of “Go Green Power” as I passed.

The second half of the race lived up to its hilly reputation although what goes up must go down. We struggled through miles 13 to 16 but were rewarded by speedy down hills through beautiful wooded neighborhoods during miles 17 and 18. Miles 19 to 23 were up and back along the River with the turnaround at mile 20.5. This part of the race seemed interminable and at about mile 20, my pace group started to pull away. I knew I could finish alone but was afraid I wouldn’t beat my 4:50:26 White Rock Marathon time which was my goal.

The last two hills at miles 23 and 25 almost did me in. While ascending, I settled for a fast walk and then picked up the pace again on the descent. I cruised into the finish line at 4:49:53 a mere 33 seconds faster than my White Rock time but slower than my goal. What the hell, I was happy as could be. I felt great—the best I have felt at the finish of any marathon in my life! Ed and Ram finished ahead of schedule at approximately 5:12. A good time was had by all!

The race was well attended and is growing every year. Approximately 1,800 people signed up for Marathon with a total of 1,549 finishers. Combined with the Half-Marathon and Marathon Relays, there were a total of 5,265 runners who completed the three events. Out of 34 finishers in my age group of 55-59, I placed 6th. Out of 576 females of any age, I placed 249th. I am eager to have my birthday in September, so I can move into my new age group and whop up on some old granny butt!

The Little Rock Marathon is known for its gigantic-sized medals and they didn’t disappoint. The Post-Race Party was also exceptional with a grandiose buffet, free beer, wine and vodka. I must say I took advantage of it all. We spent the evening watching the Academy Awards in our luxurious hotel room. The next morning after a scrumptious breakfast buffet and a walk to view the Clinton Library and Museum, we checked out of the Peabody, feeling proud and happy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dee, congratulations on a successful race. I always enjoy reading about your life experiences, and learning things about you I never knew. You are definitely one of my heros.
    Love,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks, Terry. That means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete